whatever you want to talk about. poo, not poo, whatever

Moderators: wonderpance, ericb, daphne

Spam, Spam, Wonderful Spam!!!

Postby ChiefThunderbutt on Feb 21 2017 4:48 pm

Is there any sound that appeals to your appetite more than the "schlllloooooop" made by a loaf of Spam as it slides from the can onto your cutting board? The miracle meat that gave the world its protein and helped the allies triumph over evil in WW-2 has been with us for a while and, even though it gets some bad press, will probably titillate the taste buds of those yet unborn for many generations. Spam, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways.

After schllllooooooping it from the can you can simply slice it and make a sandwich. I like it on wholewheat bread with a few slices of sweet ginger pickles and a splort of mustard. No fancy mustard, just a cheap yellow ballpark variety. If you wash it down with a beer forget about anything from a microbrewery, this sandwich is best with something cheap like a Natural Ice, Colt 45, or a PBR.

Spam and eggs! Slice and lightly fry. Serve along with eggs cooked however you might like them. Any toast or biscuits included with the meal should be heavily slathered with butter, we're going for taste here, not health. The cholesterol in the Spam is going to stop your heart anyway so you might as well be hauled off in a hearse with a smile on your face.

Spam fried rice; After the schlllloooooop, dice the Spam into half inch cubes and put aside. Make an omelet in a greased pan and put it aside also, then saute some onions in the same pan in a little oil until soft. Add the cubed spam and stir until well heated. Now lower the heat and dump in some precooked rice. Put in a squirt of Kikkoman Soy Sauce* and if you want a squirt of ketchup. Ad the omelet, which has been chopped up, back into the pan along with a touch of dark sesame oil (optional) and stir until everything is well mixed. Eat with a side dish of kimchi.

Korean Army Base Stew: This is absolutely delicious. I saw a video in which Anthony Bourdain prepared this for Anthony Cooper. A picture is worth a thousand words so here's a video of my favorite Korean cook preparing this culinary masterpiece .
http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/budae-jjigae

How about some of you other guys (if anyone's still here), ever make anything with Spam?

* I say Kikkoman because the soy sauce police will come for you if you use the despicable La Choy or Chun King sauces. You can also use Yamasa or most naturally fermented Asian sauces.
If I had two faces do you think
I'd be wearing this one?
ChiefThunderbutt
uberpooper, 2008 PoopReporter of the Year, Peace Forum Literature Club Moderator, and Hillbilly Gourmet
uberpooper, 2008 PoopReporter of the Year,  Peace Forum Literature Club Moderator, and Hillbilly Gourmet

Local time: Aug 18 2017 8:31 pm

Re: Spam, Spam, Wonderful Spam!!!

Postby prarie doggin on Feb 21 2017 6:28 pm

I srice you up rike garric you big brob.

Mr. La Choy

Never mind him Chief. Have you ever had Taylor Ham?
"Motivation is simple. You eliminate those who are not motivated" - Lou Holtz
prarie doggin
überpooper and, more importantly, 2009 PoopReporter of the Year

Postby ChiefThunderbutt on Feb 21 2017 9:18 pm

La Choy is absolutely nasty tasting compared to the naturally brewed stuff. It is a mixture of chemicals that don't even taste like the sauce that Kikkoman has been making since about 1630. In almost 400 years they have mastered the process.

Is Taylor Ham anything like Spam? I see it on the internet as Jersey Ham Roll also. I have never tried it.
I'd be wearing this one?
ChiefThunderbutt
uberpooper, 2008 PoopReporter of the Year, Peace Forum Literature Club Moderator, and Hillbilly Gourmet
uberpooper, 2008 PoopReporter of the Year,  Peace Forum Literature Club Moderator, and Hillbilly Gourmet

Postby prarie doggin on Feb 22 2017 8:33 pm

There is no comparison. It comes formed in a burlap wrap of sorts and I have not tasted anything like it anywhere. A "Taylor, egg and cheese on a roll" is the state dish. If our bloated Governor had his way, it would probably be on the state flag. It's pretty much unknown outside the area. I'll bring some down next time I'm in your holler.
prarie doggin

Postby ChiefThunderbutt on Feb 22 2017 8:59 pm

prarie doggin wrote:There is no comparison. It comes formed in a burlap wrap of sorts and I have not tasted anything like it anywhere. A "Taylor, egg and cheese on a roll" is the state dish. If our bloated Governor had his way, it would probably be on the state flag. It's pretty much unknown outside the area. I'll bring some down next time I'm in your holler.

I await your next visit with great expectations, a term I may have borrowed from Charles Dickens. :-)
I'd be wearing this one?
ChiefThunderbutt

Postby ChiefThunderbutt on Mar 05 2017 1:09 pm

My son-in-law has been singing the praises of Taylor Ham and says next time he visits his mudder in Joisey he will pick some up for me.

I recently ordered some kelp tea from Japan and for some strange reason rather than coming in from the west coast it was routed into the country by way of New York. I just tracked the delivery through USPS tracking and the package is now in transient going through a USPS facility in Jersey City. Perhaps you could sneak in and stuff a ham roll into the package when no one is looking. (?)

Try to not get caught. :banned:
I'd be wearing this one?
ChiefThunderbutt

Postby prarie doggin on Mar 05 2017 8:30 pm

I'm very familiar with that facility and have delivered there many times. It is huge and handles a crapload of packages to/from overseas as well as bulk mail. It is a maze of automation and it had been named after an employee who got sucked into a conveyor system and chopped to pieces. I think he actually wound up in 7 different countries. Should I just go there and ask for someone to help me with my pork roll?

Interestingly, kelp is harvested on huge farms off the west coast and is in a lot of foods we eat under such names as carrageenans and alginates. It's amazing what you learn (and often wish you didn't) in my business when you go to food manufacturing facilities.

If your son-in-law is a proper Joisey boy, he'll bring you the Taylor product and not one of the supermarket imitations. You may actually want to move up here after having some.
prarie doggin

Postby ChiefThunderbutt on Mar 05 2017 8:47 pm

Kelp is one of the main flavorings in the quintessential Japanese "dashi" which appears in so many of their recipes. I started drinking about 1/3 cup of the tea daily about a month ago and my blood pressure is now at about the same level as it was when I was a teen. It is salty and actually tastes more like soup than tea but I like it. It's chock full of minerals and must be good for you. I wonder if it has any connection to the longevity of the Japanese?
I'd be wearing this one?
ChiefThunderbutt

Postby prarie doggin on Mar 06 2017 9:08 am

I think the Japanese are living longer because we're not dropping bombs on them anymore.
prarie doggin

Postby ChiefThunderbutt on Mar 06 2017 11:23 am

prarie doggin wrote:I think the Japanese are living longer because we're not dropping bombs on them anymore.

Bingo! :-) :-) :-)
I'd be wearing this one?
ChiefThunderbutt

Postby prarie doggin on Mar 06 2017 4:14 pm

I wasn't sure how your wife would react to my sarcasm, but she is aware I'm from Joisey. It's how we roll here.
prarie doggin

Return to off-topic

• VISITORS