anything related to poop. information, resources, you name it.

Moderators: wonderpance, ericb, daphne

Omeprazole and Pooping

Postby ChiefThunderbutt on Dec 27 2011 12:25 pm

About a year ago I had a short bout of internal bleeding that was probably caused by taking warfarin as a blood thinner. A camera was stuffed down my throat and an EGD (esophagogastroduodenoscopy) was performed and some small lesions were discovered in the upper regions of my small intestines. The EGD by the way, was ten times worse than a colonoscopy and I never want another. The gastroenterologist who performed the procedure wrote me a prescription for omeprazole (zantac) which he said would reduce the acid in my stomach and promote healing.

About the same time I started on the omeprazole I began having loose stools that were all million wipers. I also developed hemorrhoids and had to start stuffing suppositories up my aching ring-piece several times per day. My primary care physician recently told me to stop taking the omeprazole as my stomach seemed to be functioning normally. Magically I began having normal movements that require minimal wiping, beautiful well formed logs that I am justifiably proud of. The hemorrhoids are also a thing of the past.

The moral of my story is that you should read closely the information you are given along with any medication that may be prescribed for you. Omeprazole causes diarrhea in about 6% of those who take it. Wish I could be that lucky against the odds when I buy a lottery ticket. :lol:

Another interesting thing I have learned lately is that one of the best things you can do for peptic ulcers is eat raw cabbage. We should heed the advice of the father of medicine, Hippocrates, who said, "let your food be your medicine."
Today's doctors are quick to prescribe the latest drugs when often a change of diet will cure you even faster.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1643665/
I thought I was losing weight until I discovered
my sweat pants had come untied.
ChiefThunderbutt
uberpooper, 2008 PoopReporter of the Year, Peace Forum Literature Club Moderator, and Hillbilly Gourmet
uberpooper, 2008 PoopReporter of the Year,  Peace Forum Literature Club Moderator, and Hillbilly Gourmet

Local time: Oct 21 2014 1:22 pm

Re: Omeprazole and Pooping

Postby Thunderbox on Dec 27 2011 1:28 pm

Hippocrates, like several other Greeks of his time (unlike the swine that live there these days :x ) was an intelligent and sage man. As were a few Romans later...but not really that many :-? .

Nowadays we are overcome by charlatans, doctors who ought to be struck off, accountants, bankers, insurance men and many other disgusting similar people who deserve nothing but a well appointed gallows :x
The voice of sanity has spoken
Thunderbox
Uberpooper, moderator, and Poopreporter of the Year 2010

Local time: Oct 21 2014 6:22 pm

Postby prarie doggin on Dec 27 2011 3:52 pm

And yet another sage man, Tbox. Solving the world over-population problem one trip to the gallows at a time. I like that :D
prarie doggin
überpooper and, more importantly, 2009 PoopReporter of the Year

Postby Thunderbox on Dec 27 2011 7:34 pm

One tries, pd..... believe me, one tries!
The voice of sanity has spoken
Thunderbox

Local time: Oct 21 2014 6:22 pm

Postby Pooperscooper on Feb 21 2012 7:19 pm

http://www.ancientsites.com/aw/Article/1261839

Cabbage

Greek physicians held the cabbage in high esteem for its medicinal properties: Chrysippus devoted an entire treatise to the cabbage; Pythagoras praised its virtues; and Hippocrates prescribed it as a cure diarrhea and cramps. Cabbage was also prescribed to expectant mothers to increase lactation. Hippocrates and Galen belived that raw vegetables should be served first, as they slipped through the system without creating obstructions for the rest of a meal. Greek philosopher Diogenes ate only cabbage and water. In Greek mythology, the cabbage is said to have sprung from the perspiration of Zeus.

http://www.health-care-clinic.org/veget ... bbage.html

Years ago, I read an English cookbook published in the 1930s full of recipes from the 18th to the early 20th century. In it was a recipe for a vegetable broth soup and the note from its author stated that it was wonderful for the complexion.

Our skins are grown from the same embryonic cells that line our digestive tracts. So, whatever makes you look wonderful outside will make your insides look great too. And..here is an essay that in its last paragraph, echoes what that cabbage broth soup recipe is supposed to do.

Cabbage should be used as soon after cutting as possible, as exposure to the air causes loss of vitamin C.

When cooking cabbage, use a stainless steel pan, and cook it over low heat. Because cabbage is a sulfur food. it is gas-forming, and this method of cooking will help avoid this. Covering the pan wtth a vacuum top will also help, and the mineral balance can be maintained in this type of vessel.

Cabbage should be cooked quickly, sliced or shredded to avoid longer cooking time, and served immediately. It is best combined with other vegetables, a starch, or a protein. (Apples and cabbage together are delicious.)

Because cabbage is a sulfur food, it can cause intestinal distress. It also contains a great deal of roughage, and some people find that they cannot eat raw cabbage.

Benefits of Cabbage
Cabbage, both red and green, is one of the least expensive of the vitamin-protective foods, and is one of the most healthful vegetables. It is an excellent source of vitamin C. Raw cabbage juice may be taken when citrus fruits are prohibited, and can be made more palatable by combining it with a milder juice, such as celery or tomato.

Raw cabbage is a fair source of vitamin A, a good source of vitamin B1, and contains some vitamin G. Cabbage is alkaline in reaction, high in cellulose or roughage, and has a very low calorie content. Cooked red cabbage is superior to white or green in that some people seem to be less sensitive to it. Cooked cabbage still retains a fair amount of vitamin A. The outside leaves of cabbage-those leaves that are very green-have as much as 40 percent more calcium than the inside leaves.

Cabbage contains many minerals: it is rich in calcium and potassium, and contains chlorine, iodine, phosphorus, sodium, and sulfur. Red cabbage has more calcium but slightly less of the other minerals than white or green cabbage.

When we were traveling in Switzerland, we noted how a variety of curly cabbage was used as a pack for eczema and for various leg conditions such as varicose veins and leg ulcers. This external pack was made by chopping the cabbage into fine pieces and mixing it with distilled water. The pack was placed on the affected area and wrapped with a linen cloth. The sulfur in cabbage helps destroy the ferments in the blood, and is especially good for any skin trouble when used both internally and externally. Sulfur is one of the elements that increases body heat, so people with cold feet might want to include cabbage in their diet.

Dr. Garnett Cheney, clinical professor at the University of California, has found that the use of raw cabbage juice showed promising results in the cure of ulcers of the stomach. Dr. Cheney thinks that the vitamin U in cabbage is what helps. He discovered that after his ulcer patients drank raw cabbage juice over a period of four or five days, most of their symptoms would disappear.

I do not believe, however, that raw vegetable juice in itself, no matter what kind, would give relief to most ulcer conditions. I use what we call cabbage juice diets because there are factors in cabbage juice that may accelerate healing and overcome ulcers of the stomach more readily than other juices.

Cabbage is very effective in helping overcome constipation, and sauerkraut, or sauerkraut juice, is particularly good for a sluggish intestinal tract, and for more serious cases of constipation. Sauerkraut juice, with a little lemon juice added, may be helpful for diabetes. Raw sauerkraut juice stimulates the body in general, and when mixed with tomato juice, makes a wonderful laxative. It is very high in vitamin C and lactic acid.

While in New Zealand, I spoke with the head food buyer for the Army, who told me that cabbage was considered one of the best foods for keeping a clean, clear complexion, and that service­women insisted on having cabbage salads to keep their complexions clear.

Pooperscooper
Pooperscooper
überpooper

Postby ChiefThunderbutt on Feb 28 2012 10:10 am

Another great thing about cabbage is that it tastes good. Quite often at lunch time my appetite can be easily assuaged by boiling a carrot, an onion, and a potato with a slice of cabbage on top. Served with a piece of bread and perhaps a rasher or two of bacon it makes a meal that is fast, simple, delicious, nutritious, and best of all cheap!
ChiefThunderbutt
uberpooper, 2008 PoopReporter of the Year, Peace Forum Literature Club Moderator, and Hillbilly Gourmet
uberpooper, 2008 PoopReporter of the Year,  Peace Forum Literature Club Moderator, and Hillbilly Gourmet

Postby daphne on Feb 28 2012 8:07 pm

I use rice and veggie meat-stuff, but you can use rice and beef for this recipe, which is my favorite way to eat cabbage with the exception of stir-fried with chinese vinegar and some sugar.

One Big-Assed Cabbage Roll

: One head of cabbage
: 1 1/2 pounds raw meat (pork and beef is nice), or 1 pound of boca-meat stuff.
: 2 cups cooked rice, but not cooked all the way through
: salt and pepper
: 2 cans of tomato soup
: optional beef stock
: 2 eggs

1. Mix the eggs, meat (stuff), rice, and some of the pepper into a mixture. You can add salt if you can cook with it without suffering from high blood pressure.

2. Steam the head of cabbage in a pot until it is cooked enough for the leaves to fall open.

3. When the cabbage can be handled without burning oneself, pull the inner leaves out so that there is a space in the middle of the cabbage about the size of a small lemon, or a lime.

4. Pack the meat mixture into the middle space (but no too tightly). Place some of the meat mixture in between all of the leaves, working your way out, until the entire cabbage is full, slightly, of the mixture.

5. Tie the cabbage up together with cooking string and put it into a casserole with the tomato soup and either water or beef stock.

6. Bake the cabbage role about 325 degrees for an hour to an and a half or so, covered (keep an eye on the liquid level), and check the inside of the roll by unwrapping the string. If it is fully cooked, then let cool and serve.
The human gene pool could use a little chlorine
daphne and GatorX
RIP Frederick
http://www.daphneszoo.com/
Daphne is the Proud sponsor/corrupter of Mrs. Mad Crapper
daphne
überpooper, moderator, 2005 PoopReporter of the Year, and official site post whore
überpooper, moderator, 2005 PoopReporter of the Year, and official site post whore

Location: Washington state, in the middle of the woods in a house with three toilets. Life ain't half bad.
Local time: Oct 21 2014 11:22 am

Postby prarie doggin on Feb 28 2012 8:55 pm

So what kind of side dishes should I make to go with that?
prarie doggin

Postby daphne on Feb 28 2012 11:23 pm

I always cut up taters and put them in the same casserole. If I have the gumption I will bake some bread that I had rising while the cabbage thing is sitting and settling. Usually I use the old dutch oven. On a side note, I feel funny talking about how I use a dutch oven to cook with on this site. It sounds so wrong, and the picture it paints is certainly less than appetizing.
daphne and GatorX
RIP Frederick
daphne

Location: Washington state, in the middle of the woods in a house with three toilets. Life ain't half bad.

Postby blind mullet on Feb 28 2012 11:54 pm

daphne wrote: Advice for the ladies: Husband staying out a bit too often? Usually I use the old dutch oven...
:lol:
blind mullet
zen pooper (2000 flushes)
zen pooper (2000 flushes)

Postby prarie doggin on Feb 29 2012 7:51 am

I know a few married guys that were wrongly accused of cheating when they were only out getting a young dutch oven.

Am I wrong?
prarie doggin

Postby ChiefThunderbutt on Mar 01 2012 3:59 pm

Daphne, Your big ass cabbage roll made me drool. One of my favorites is stuffed cabbage rolls. I drop cabbage leaves one at a time into hot water, just long enough to make them pliable, then roll them up like burritos with a stuffing of seasoned meat and rice, then bake them in tomato juice that has been added to a highly seasoned mirepoix. New potatoes and buttered peas on the side and you're good to go. Never heard a complaint.

I might try a vegetarian version with either TVP or tempeh one of these days. Hmm, wonder how Loma Linda Swiss Stakes would work instead of meat? They are pretty tasty and they give me aromatic farts!

http://www.amazon.com/Linda-Swiss-Stake ... B000BF54MI
ChiefThunderbutt

Postby Bilgepump on Mar 01 2012 6:28 pm

ChiefThunderbutt wrote:ass cabbage

Is that like a fungus? Is there a medication for that? Ointment? Poultice?
"One of the founding members of the Front Page Hyena Pack, and runs as its alpha male when the urge strikes him, which is often." Daphne (One perceptive chick)
Bilgepump
überpooper
überpooper

Postby prarie doggin on Mar 01 2012 6:55 pm

I'm sure Chief has a few ass cabbage rolls. :o
prarie doggin

Postby daphne on Mar 02 2012 2:35 am

Chief, what I like about The Big-Assed Cabbage Roll is that it tastes so similar to stuffed cabbages, but it takes less time. Sometimes I would love to have stuffed cabbages, but I seriously just don't have the time.
daphne and GatorX
RIP Frederick
daphne

Next

Return to general poop

• VISITORS