the mysteries of poop... revealed.

Moderators: wonderpance, ericb, daphne

Why does poop smell?

Postby dave on Feb 16 2004 7:02 am

Poopy Pants asks: Why is poop so stinky? I mean... food doesnt smell like that, so why does poop? Also, why do some people's poop smell worse than others?

(((Poonurse: I thought about answering this question that it was due to bacteria in your stomach. And then I thought that when you are first born, you don't have that bacteria, which is why babies poop doesn't smell. And then I remembered that baby poop is just horrible. Do you have any insight?)))
---- Dave
Last edited by dave on Feb 19 2004 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
dave
uberpooper, moderator, 2007 PoopReporter of the Year
uberpooper, moderator, 2007 PoopReporter of the Year

Local time: Aug 01 2014 11:30 pm

Postby poonurse on Feb 16 2004 7:33 am

Dear Poopy Pants,

You are right on about the bacteria. The bacteria inside of the feces is what makes them smell so bad. Specifically, the bacteria produce various compounds and gases that lead to the infamous smell of feces. Just in case you were wondering, you can get very sick by eating feces because it contains so many types of bacteria and other harmful substances such as parasites. So I wouldn't suggest adding poop to your diet any time soon.

Poop will vary in smell depending on the type of foods and drinks that you consume. Generally speaking, feces will smell worse if you consume foods or liquids with many artificial flavors or chemicals in them. The bad smell of feces will usually be reduced by eating more natural foods that do not contain any artificial flavors or chemicals. Also, the poop of meat eaters usually smells worse than that of vegans.

Incidently, I change about 10,000 diapers a day at work. The baby's first poop is called meconium. While tarry, black, sticky and yucky to look at, it does NOT STINK.
Please be advised that I am only a Poonurse. I am NOT a medical doctor. Any advice I give should be taken moderate skepticism. Please consult a REAL medical doctor if you feel you have a serious medical condition.

Thanks for asking Poonurse!
poonurse
practiced pooper

Local time: Aug 02 2014 8:30 am

Postby Turd Hugegrunt on Feb 19 2004 10:12 am

Poopy Pants:

You wonder that poop stinks when you say that "food doesn't smell like that."

Have you ever walked into a house where someone is boiling a big pot of turnip greens or mustard greens? Especially if they are boiling up some of the turnip roots with the greens?

Or how about boiled cabbage, cauliflower, or broccoli?

Ever smelled chitterlings (chitlins) stewing away atop a stove?

And then you wonder how come some folks' poop smells worse than others. Hey, why do some folks' homes smell worse than others? How come some folks' armpits smell worse than others?

Look, some folks are just plain stankier than other folks. And it usually has at least something to do with what they shove down their gullets. Like some people who eat a lotta garlic. Or some folks who drink a lotta alcohol. It comes outta their skin, and outta their asses, more stinky than say someone who eats nothing but white bread and peanut butter washed down with Mt. Dew Code Red.

Anyway, do a little experiment. Cook up a big pot of chitlins, another pot of turnip greens, with the root diced up, and some blackeyed peas and cornbread. If you can stand the smell of your house, sit down and eat copious amounts of this slop.

Now, go down to Mississippi next day, meet up with Big Wiper in a public restroom, have a good ol' shameless twin shittin' sittin', and compare the odor. I'll bet your poop smells a whole lot worse than his. That's because he eats a more reasonable diet of not so stanky foods, see?

Peace in the portal.
Have a really shitty day
Turd Hugegrunt
überpooper

Local time: Aug 02 2014 12:30 am

Postby doniker on Feb 19 2004 10:15 am

Turd, your one hilarious mother !!!!
doniker
überpooper
überpooper

Local time: Aug 02 2014 1:30 am

Postby Turd Hugegrunt on Feb 19 2004 2:35 pm

Thanks, Doniker.

I love your new avatar.

By the way, did you check out Ms. Tina's ass pimple problem? Sounds like she could use some help if you're up her way, Don. After all, you have a lot of experience in the female hiney department.

But if it gets too gross ... oh, nevermind ... that's not a possibility with you, dude!

Anyway, when you get to pinchin' Tina's butt bumpies, squeeze a big, yellow puss pocket for me, Don. If she yelps, say, "That was for Turd Hugegrunt!" and keep on a squeezin'.

Peace on the Pimple Patch.
Have a really shitty day
Turd Hugegrunt
überpooper

Postby doniker on Feb 19 2004 3:02 pm

to be
Last edited by doniker on Sep 15 2004 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
doniker
überpooper
überpooper

Local time: Aug 02 2014 1:30 am

Postby Turd Hugegrunt on Feb 19 2004 6:02 pm

Doniker:

Well, I would imagine that the scabs and the healed-over pock marks afforded you some traction to get a grip on those ass cheeks, huh?

Peace in the pocked pucker.
Have a really shitty day
Turd Hugegrunt
überpooper

Postby The Big Wiper on Feb 19 2004 9:28 pm

TH, you continue to be in rare form, my friend! With all the travelling I'm doing lately, it's great to check into the site and see what you've come up with at the end of the day. Too 8) for school!
Pulling My Pants Down For Peace, Plop And Posterity!
The Big Wiper
überpooper, 2004 PoopReporter o'the Year

Postby Turd Hugegrunt on Feb 20 2004 8:21 am

B'Dub:

I hope your travels find you safe and warm this winter. I know how cold some of those roadhouse toilets can be! Please avoid the dreaded frost-bit tush.

And seems like we should be hearing lots of public poophouse anecdotes when you finally get some time to relate them to us. I've seen a few from you lately, but I know you've experienced way more than what you've told us so far.

Like, is Arkansas still studded with those nostalgic two-seater outhouses like when I was a kid down South? Had any emergency downloads where you had to pull off the road in a rush and spackle paint the potty after dining on mudbugs and jambalaya in one of those Cajun roadside crab houses?

So, anyway, stay safe on the road, and have a speedy and profitable return to Tupelo.

Peace at the Crossroad.
Have a really shitty day
Turd Hugegrunt
überpooper

Postby The Big Wiper on Feb 20 2004 10:32 am

Haha! TH, my most recent poophouse anecdote of note was posted in my 'On The Throne, On The Phone' story on the Front Page earlier this week. Cell phone crapping at its best and a shameless shiftfest to boot. I think my willingness to use (clean) facilities and my general shamelessness put me in a position to experience these excretory episodes more than most.

As for the mudbugs, they are coming into season right about now and are mighty tasty in etouffe and other dishes in restaurants in South Louisiana and Mississippi. Had some served as a topping over snapper (please--no comments about our esteemed Canadian Pooper Friend!) at a national sales meeting weekend before last. It was to die for and made for a fantastic easy slider at the other end. So, no complaints about the effect of the spicey cuisine on the ole bowels down there. I've learned to handle it after all these years.

Keep those crazy cards and letters of yours coming, TH. You da man! :wink:
Pulling My Pants Down For Peace, Plop And Posterity!
The Big Wiper

Re: Why does poop smell?

Postby Dr. Adams on Jul 13 2004 9:02 pm

dave wrote:Poopy Pants asks: Why is poop so stinky? I mean... food doesnt smell like that, so why does poop? Also, why do some people's poop smell worse than others?

(((Poonurse: I thought about answering this question that it was due to bacteria in your stomach. And then I thought that when you are first born, you don't have that bacteria, which is why babies poop doesn't smell. And then I remembered that baby poop is just horrible. Do you have any insight?)))
---- Dave

The answer is bacteria. Plain and simple. Hope this has helped

-Dr. Adams :D
Dr. Adams
practiced pooper

Postby Turd Hugegrunt on Aug 03 2004 12:40 pm

So, bacteria stinks? Gee thanks, Doc, for that detailed explanation.

Why does poop stink? "Poop stinks as a result of the products of bacterial action. Bacteria produce smelly, sulfur- or nitrogen-rich organic compounds such as indole, skatole, and mercaptans, and the inorganic gas hydrogen sulfide. These are the same compounds that give farts their odor." http://www.heptune.com/poop.html

Click on the link for other answers as to the various characteristics of poop. ^^

But say, Doc Adams, as long as you're familiar with poop-stank, and being a real-live doctor and all, could you like give us the lowdown regarding hospital poop, doctor and nurse poop, and things like that? For example, does full-fledged surgeon poop smell worse than nurse practitioner shit? Does hospital food make shit smell more or less rank? Has a patient ever let a really smelly fart while you were examining him or her? Have you ever had to rush to the bathroom due to the New Delhi Trots right in the middle of an examination or procedure? Fill us in, Doc.

Peace in Particulars. TH
Have a really shitty day
Turd Hugegrunt
überpooper

Re: Why does poop smell?

Postby The Holy Shitter on Aug 03 2004 3:21 pm

Dr. Adams wrote:
The answer is bacteria. Plain and simple. Hope this has helped

-Dr. Adams :D

Quack, Quack!
Damn it feels good to be a Savior...
The Holy Shitter
shitstain
shitstain

Postby Turd Hugegrunt on Aug 03 2004 3:59 pm

If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck ...
Have a really shitty day
Turd Hugegrunt
überpooper

bacteria and strange questions

Postby Dr. Adams on Aug 06 2004 7:39 pm

Turd Hugegrunt wrote:So, bacteria stinks? Gee thanks, Doc, for that detailed explanation.

Why does poop stink? "Poop stinks as a result of the products of bacterial action. Bacteria produce smelly, sulfur- or nitrogen-rich organic compounds such as indole, skatole, and mercaptans, and the inorganic gas hydrogen sulfide. These are the same compounds that give farts their odor." http://www.heptune.com/poop.html

Click on the link for other answers as to the various characteristics of poop. ^^

But say, Doc Adams, as long as you're familiar with poop-stank, and being a real-live doctor and all, could you like give us the lowdown regarding hospital poop, doctor and nurse poop, and things like that? For example, does full-fledged surgeon poop smell worse than nurse practitioner shit? Does hospital food make shit smell more or less rank? Has a patient ever let a really smelly fart while you were examining him or her? Have you ever had to rush to the bathroom due to the New Delhi Trots right in the middle of an examination or procedure? Fill us in, Doc.

Peace in Particulars. TH

Once again in case you missed it, the reason that fecal excrement smells bad is because of BACTERIA.

With regard to your assortment of additional vague and strange questions, I am sorry but I can not answer most of them. With respect to what I can answer, here goes:

1) Has a patient ever farted during my examination? - yes

2) Have I ever had to rush to the bathroom during an exam? - no

Sorry I am not able to answer the other brilliant quesitons that you generated. At least you put forth a more noble effort than the Holy Shitter who only seems to be able to make quacking noises.

As always, glad to help and participate with my medical knowledge.

Regards,

-Dr. Adams 8)
Dr. Adams
practiced pooper

Next

Return to ask poonurse

• VISITORS